- Secure your web browser before go online. This is deny viruses and probes an easy target.
- Install reputable anti-virus software like McAfee and keep it up to date.To find the best antivirus that suits your needs, read this ultimate guide that will teach you more about antiviruses, its main features and what should you look for.
- Install a proactive security solution for multilayer protection. Anything that remotely executes is code running on your computer.
- Be careful online and don’t click on suspicious link. Even if the site is itself not infected, it may contain ads that are.
- Don’t download and/or execute untrusted software or “warez.”These frequently bundle viruses.
- Don’t open email attachments that are sent to you unprompted.Even if it is from someone you know, there is no guarantee it was actually sent by your contact.
- Don’t install spurious software. Browser toolbars and the like can be full of PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs). These are also often bundled with actually useful programs like the Java runtime, so don’t be sloppy when installing.
By following these instructions and keeping a backup on hand, you will significantly reduce the incidence of viruses.